With justified trepidation, considering the last time Karen’s editing put me into a despondency only Matt could pull me out of and he’s gone, I started on her second editing. I changed the cover suggestions which have to be negotiated with somebody called Pam anyway and recast my foreword, taking Karen’s strictures into account, using the liberating first person since my cover was blown, simplifying the language a bit, amplifying where suggested and adding a lead-in to the correspondence itself by pointing out how unusual it is to have a two-sided correspondence instead of a one-voiced collection of letters and how this was brought about, followed by its short subsequent history prior to publication umpteen decades later as a book.
So far, so good, and I paused before recommencing. Things went all right until I came upon the first lot of poems I’d sent her a scanned page of to improve the visual presentation and get rid of wordy explication of how they were presented which could be seen at a glance except she hadn’t replaced the poems by incorporating them in the scanned version into the text, nor the next lot. I was annoyed and wrote so in the margin provided but won’t otherwise tell her so or the publisher. That’s why this blog won’t be copied and put on the publisher’s blog site, nor can I refer to this on Facebook or Twitter.